Saturday, October 26, 2013

Max and the terrible 3s

Looking at this photo the saying 'butter wouldn't melt....' springs to mind but over the past 2 weeks this could not be further from the truth. Max's tantrums have escalated and there have been days where every waking moment was  spent either crying or screaming. When he (and I) do eventually calm down I have talked to him about it and as I suspected it's about me and Celia going to hospital. Of course we might as well be going to the funfair for all he knows as he just sees me, Celia and Mabel going somewhere without him all day. There are days when I've had to take all 3 to the hospital but I find it so stressful that I try and avoid it. Mind you, I don't think it can be any more stressful than dealing with Max's constant outbursts these days so I may need to reconsider. In between the tantrums we did manage to have some nice family time. The weather was amazing last Saturday and our friends Andrea and Dan has us and a few others over for a spot of al fresco lunch which turned into dinner as  the children played outside until it got dark.
On Sunday we drove up to the Dandenong hills as one of the cancer charities was putting on a day with Puffing Billy the steam train which had been disguised as Thomas the tank engine. It was warm but very windy so Celia was not happy, however Max seemed to enjoy himself, especially as there was face painting. When we got back Andy took them out to the garden to plant some tomato and strawberry seeds. He explained how they needed to look after the plants and watch them grow but I don't think they quite understood the growth timeframe as 20 minutes later we looked out the widow to find them parked in front of their respective pots patiently waiting.....

The heat was short lived and it has been quite wintery again this week so there has been lots of DVD watching as I haven't the energy to fight it!
 We had another long day in hospital on Monday and again, it should only have been a morning visit for a blood test and chemo but we were there from 9am til 4pm. They are renovating the cancer centre over the next 3 months so it has moved to a room in A&E where there are no TVs or DVD players so time really dragged. I was moaning about this to Andy until he showed me a BBC news story about the NI Finance minister visiting the Royal Sick Children's hospital in Belfast and how some of the facilities are almost 100 years old. He was "shocked and ashamed" by the conditions he saw and although funding has been agreed for a new hospital it won't be completed until 2021 so I quickly reminded myself how very lucky we are having Celia treated here in Melbourne.    
   


1 comment: