Sunday, November 14, 2010

Birthday, Barbeques, Bikes and Bowls

I think it is fair to say we're settling in to a more Australian way of life now. This week I've managed to do a couple of morning runs round the park - it is amazing how many people are up doing fit things at 6am! I also managed a 25k ride on my new bike in 32 degrees, the hottest day of summer so far. Had a lovely evening of bowls and a few beers on a sweating hot evening on Thursday. I beat the boss at bowls, having beaten him at golf a couple of weeks ago...I better let him win at something soon.  We rounded the week off with a birthday BBQ on Saturday and a nice drive into the Dandenong hills on Sunday.
Thought it was high time we managed to post a few more blog photos so here they are.

I think this is actually the first time we have managed to get a photo of all four of us since we arrived in Australia
Birthday day out - Dandenong Hills
So what did I get myself for my birthday. A shiny new BBQ of course...had to be done. Celia and Max kindly contributed to some nice cook books to encourage me even more. Will have to get practicing, it will be Christmas in no time.
Dad with his birthday presents
Saturday we did the extremely grown up, modern man thing of taking a first aid class with Lydia's mummy friends and all the husbands. If you ever collapse in my presence I'm now fully equipped to give you mouth to mouth resusitation! This was followed by a fantastic indoor birthday BBQ (it rained heavily for 24 hours on Saturday in a humid monsoon sort of a way). The chat was fantastic, roast lamb and cake hit the spot and and the shiraz was outstanding. Thanks Megan and Scott. We'll return the compliment soon, minus the first aid and with a much more novice BBQ fayre.
Boys with babies at a BBQ talking B******
 Most of our trips out of the city so far have been sourtwards to the Mornington Peninsula in search of sun and sea. This Sunday Lydia treated me to a wonderful lunch in the beautiful Dandenong Hills about an hour to the west of Melbourne. We've been meaning to check out these lovely hills, forest, gardens and quaint villages for some weeks now. Sasafass and Olinda didn't let us down. Think quirky little English village circa 1950 and you'll not be far off. All tea-rooms, craft shops and rhododendron gardens. Mum, if she ever made it to Victoria, would love it.
Birthday day out in the Dandenongs
It's been a tough few months for Lydia with all the upheaval. This week she's been so much happier and my birthday weekend has been just lovely. Here she is looking very relaxed with Max outside a quaint mountain tea shop.
Pit stop for some devonshire cream tea
Apart from the odd short trip to the local park my new bike has not seen much action yet. This week it had it's first proper outing as I took it too and from work on Friday ( I was doing a day's hard labour in a packaging factory...long story!). I loved it, felt brilliant despite the heat and the volume of cycle paths in this city is extraordinary. It will be seeing a lot more action during the summer as my new source of exercise and sightseeing combined...sod the 6am runs round the park!
My new bike, complete with passenger
In 365 days time I'll be 40. Let's see how much fun it is possible to have in 365 days!

No comments:

Post a Comment